Internships are unpaid positions, however current students may be eligible to receive academic credit.
The application deadline for the winter/spring 2015 internship in Washington DC is December 12, 2014!
The application deadline for the winter/spring 2015 internship in San Mateo is on December 20, 2014!
What does an Congressional intern do?
Congresswoman Speier's first experience in public service was as an intern and she heartily recommends it for anyone with an interest in government or politics. There are opportunities for college students and recent graduates in the Capitol Hill office and for high school and college students and others in the district office. Duties include:
- Researching legislation and district issues
- Writing letters
- Interacting with constituents
- Helping plan and staff events
- Answering phones/opening and sorting mail
- Assisting staff with administrative tasks
- Entering data into community tracking documents (district office)
- Conducting constituent tours of the U.S. Capitol (Capitol Hill office)
You are an excellent candidate for an internship if you possess these qualities:
- Professional phone manner
- Interest in national and/or local issues
- Able to work well with others
- Excellent communication skills
- Understanding of basic computer programs
- Strong writing skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to complete tasks under tight deadlines