Congresswoman Jackie Speier

Proudly Representing San Francisco and the Peninsula


Mobile Menu - OpenMobile Menu - Closed


How my office can help
Congresswoman Speier's office can assist constituents with immigration and citizenship applications already in progress.  However, we cannot initiate an application on behalf of constituents, and we cannot provide you with legal advice.  We can only make inquiries with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services and other government agencies to try to resolve your immigration concerns.


Immigrant Visas, Adjustment of Status, and Citizenship Applications
The office is frequently contacted for assistance with immigrant visas, adjustment of status and U.S. citizenship applications.  The immigration process can take several years due to the volume of applications under consideration and the complexity of the process itself.  Your file will be processed in several locations, and there are a variety of factors that can cause a delay.


Immigrant visa applications are processed chronologically according to the priority date, and the Department of State publishes a monthly Visa Bulletin that lists the date for which applications in each visa category are being adjudicated.  If your priority date is within current dates for adjudication, my office can make a status inquiry.  Similarly, if your adjustment of status or citizenship application has been pending past normal processing times, my office can also inquire on your behalf.

To request assistance with your or your relative’s immigrant visa, adjustment of status or U.S. citizenship application, please download and fill out the form below and call my San Mateo District Office at (650) 342-0300 to speak with a member of my staff.

Non-immigrant / Visitor Visas
Congresswoman Speier's office does not have the authority to grant a non-immigrant visa, and I cannot overrule a decision made by a Consular Officer.  We can only communicate information to them.  The applicant must sufficiently prove to the Consular Officer that the applicant has no intention of staying in the United States beyond the requested time and that the applicant has the financial resources for a return trip.

United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
You can initiate an immigration or citizenship application by contacting the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services online at or by calling its National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833). 

USCIS also offers immigration support for applications already in progress through INFOPASS, its customer help desk.

INFOPASS appointments can be made with your local USCIS office online at



President Obama’s Deferred Action to offer brief protection for young immigrants

Starting August 15, 2012, some undocumented immigrants who entered the U.S. as children will be able to apply for two-year relief from deportation.  Under a directive from President Obama, the Department of Homeland Security will offer these educated young people, some of whom have served in our armed forces, temporary permission to stay in the U.S. and apply for work permits. Note that individuals applying for the program, also referred to as DACA for “Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals,” will be considered on a case by case basis and is not guaranteed.

Deferred action gives responsible young people who have gone to school or served in the military temporary protection from deportation.

To be eligible, applicants must meet the following criteria:

  • Be under age 16 at time of entry into the United States
  • Continuous residence in the United States for at least five years prior to June 15, 2012
  • Be in school, graduated from high school or obtained general education development certificate, or honorably discharged from the Armed Forces
  • Cannot have been convicted of a felony offense, a significant misdemeanor offense, or multiple misdemeanor offenses, and not otherwise a threat to national security or public safety
  • Age 30 or below

Who is ineligible:

  • People convicted of a felony offense
  • People convicted of three or more misdemeanor offenses not occurring on the same date and not arising out of the same act, omission or scheme of misconduct
  • People convicted of a significant misdemeanor offense, which includes:
  • Offenses for which the individual was sentenced to time in custody of more than 90 days, including domestic violence, sexual abuse or exploitation, burglary, unlawful possession or use of a firearm, drug distribution or trafficking, and driving under the influence.

How to apply
Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services  website.

The applications will cost $465, which includes a $380 fee for the employment authorization application and an $85 fee for fingerprints.

For more information:
Visit or call the USCIS hotline at 1-800-375-5283, which is open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. EST.

Additional Resources: