Is Congresswoman Speier my Congresswoman?
Congresswoman Speier represents California’s 14th Congressional District. To find out whether you live in the district, go to www.house.gov and enter your zip code. Return to Top
Does Congresswoman Speier offer internships in her California and Capitol Hill offices?
Yes, Congresswoman Speier offers internships for college students and recent graduates in her Capitol Hill office and for high school and college students in her district office. For more information, please visit the internship section or contact the office at which you would be interested in serving as an intern. Return to Top
How can I order a flag that has been flown over the US Capitol?
Congresswoman Speier offers United States flags at actual cost as a service to her constituents. At your request, she can even have your flag flown over the U.S. Capitol. To order a flag, please go to the flag section or contact the Congresswoman’s Capitol Hill office at (202) 225-3531. Return to Top
How can I get help resolving a problem that I am having with a federal agency?
The Congresswoman can help with problems 14th District residents may have with federal agencies, including problems with Social Security, labor issues, housing, passports, veterans’ affairs, and immigration. For more information, please see the federal agencies page or contact the San Mateo District Office at (650) 342-0300. Return to Top
How do I apply for a military service academy?
Congresswoman Speier is proud to recommend qualified students for positions in our country’s service academies. For further information, please visit the service academy nomination section or you may call the San Mateo office at (650) 342-0300. Return to Top
What legislation has Congresswoman Speier sponsored?
Please visit the legislation section of the website where you can find legislation both authored and cosponsored by Congresswoman Speier. Return to Top
How can I sign up for Congresswoman Speier’s e-newsletter?
You can sign-up for Congresswoman Speier’s e-newsletter by visiting this page and entering your e-mail address. Return to Top
What services can Congresswoman Speier provide for a constituent?
Congresswoman Speier can help constituents with a federal issue, such as a missing Social Security check, an immigration question, or a veteran’s affairs issue. Return to Top
What can’t Congresswoman Speier do for me?
Congresswoman Speier cannot intercede in any matter before any courts. She cannot intercede in any state, city, county, or municipal government issue. Return to Top
Where can I get information about applying for a federal grant?
The federal government website http://www.grants.gov has extensive information about grants. Return to Top
Where can I find information on Social Security?
Please visit the Social Security section. Return to Top
Where can I find information on Immigration?
Congresswoman Speier can assist constituents with immigration and citizenship applications already in progress. However, she cannot initiate an application on behalf of constituents. Please visit the immigration section for more information. Return to Top
How can I let Congresswoman Speier know my feelings on issues and legislation?
You can e-mail her your questions, comments, and concerns. Alternatively, you contact her Capitol Hill office by calling 202-225-3531 or by sending postal mail to 2465 Rayburn HOB, Washington DC 20515. Return to Top
I have sent Congresswoman Speier a letter with my thoughts on an issue. How long will it be until I can expect a response?
As you might imagine, Congresswoman Speier receives a large volume of mail and email. She does her best to personally respond to each letter she receives as quickly as possible, but her response times can vary. Please allow four to six weeks to hear back from the office regarding correspondence. Return to Top
How can I request a meeting with her or invite her to attend my event?
For scheduling requests for events or meetings, please send an e-mail to Congresswoman Speier’s scheduler at speier.scheduler@mail.house.gov. Please be sure to include the information listed here. Return to Top
How can I find out when the Congresswoman’s next town hall meeting or public event will be in my community?
To learn when her next town hall meeting or public event will be, click here or call Congresswoman Speier’s San Mateo District Office at (650) 342-0300. Return to Top
How can I request a tour of the US Capitol Building, White House, Supreme Court, Kennedy Center, US Bureau of Engraving and Printing, Pentagon and Library of Congress?
Please visit the “Visit Washington DC” page on our website for more information about tours while you’re visiting our nation’s capital. Return to Top
Are there maps of the Capitol and DC Metro Area?

Absolutely. Here are a few of the most commonly requested:

Return to Top
How does a bill become a law?
In the simplest terms, a bill becomes a law after it passes the Senate and the House of Representatives and the President signs it. For more information about how a bill becomes a law, visit the Library of Congress' guide. The Clerks office also provides a guide to the legislative processes as it specifically relates to the House of Representatives. Return to Top
What does a Member of Congress do?
In brief, Representatives are responsible for representing the people of their District in the United States Congress. Part of this responsibility is writing and voting on bills in the U.S. Congress. All bills must pass Congress before they can go to the President to be signed into law. Another important part of the job is to help residents of the District if they have a problem with the federal government. Return to Top
What is the difference between the House of Representatives and the US Senate?
The U.S. Congress is made up of two "houses": the U.S. Senate and the U.S. House of Representatives. There are 100 members of the Senate and 435 members of the House. Each state has two Senators, regardless of how many people live in that state. The number of Representatives of each state, however, is based on the number of people that live in the state. Senators serve six-year terms. Representatives serve two-year terms. Return to Top