Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Congresswoman Speier's office is not offering internships right now. Please check this space for updates.
If you are a student living in the 14th District and would like to intern in Congresswoman Speier's Washington, DC or San Mateo office, please download and complete the internship application form and send it with a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to email@example.com. Please send all documents in .pdf format and title the email: “Your Name – Office (example: Washington DC) – Term (example: Fall 2018)”.
Positions in the Washington, DC and San Mateo offices are available starting in June and provide valuable hands-on experience in a Congressional office and a greater understanding of the legislative process. Internships are unpaid positions, however current students may be eligible to receive academic credit.
Summer 2019 District Office interns helped out at an event in San Calos.
Left to right: Calista Huang, Connie Gong, Joseph Eden, Samantha Logan, Rita Abdel-Malik.
What does a Congressional intern do?
Congresswoman Speier's first experience in public service was as an intern and she heartily recommends it for anyone with an interest in government or politics. There are opportunities for college students and recent graduates in the Capitol Hill office and for high school and college students and others in the district office. Duties include:
- Researching legislation and district issues
- Writing letters
- Interacting with constituents
- Helping plan and staff events
- Answering phones/opening and sorting mail
- Assisting staff with administrative tasks
- Entering data into community tracking documents (district office)
- Conducting constituent tours of the U.S. Capitol (Capitol Hill office)
You are an excellent candidate for an internship if you possess these qualities:
- Professional phone manner
- Interest in national and/or local issues
- Able to work well with others
- Excellent communication skills
- Understanding of basic computer programs
- Strong writing skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to complete tasks under tight deadlines