PLEASE NOTE: We are currently accepting applications for the fall 2022 internship program in the Washington, DC and San Mateo offices. However, this may change due to shifts in COVID-19 rules and guidance from the House Physician.
If you are a student living in the 14th District and would like to intern in Congresswoman Speier's Washington, DC or San Mateo office, please download and complete the internship application form and send it with a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send all documents in .pdf format and title the email: “Your Name – Office (example: Washington DC) – Term (example: Fall 2021)”.
Positions in the Washington, DC and San Mateo offices are available starting in September and provide valuable hands-on experience in a Congressional office and a greater understanding of the legislative process. If you have any questions about your application or whether the intern season has been changed due to health concerns, please call the Washington, DC office at 202-225-3531 or the San Mateo Office at (650) 342-0300.
Spring and Suummer 2022 Washington, D.C. Interns
Left to right: Harrison Linder, Sarah Kulaga, Savannah Ware, Rowan Campbell, Brennan Dai
What does a Congressional intern do?
Congresswoman Speier's first experience in public service was as an intern and she heartily recommends it for anyone with an interest in government or politics. There are opportunities for college students and recent graduates in the Capitol Hill office and for high school and college students and others in the district office. Duties include:
- Researching legislation and district issues
- Writing letters
- Interacting with constituents
- Helping plan and staff events
- Answering phones/opening and sorting mail
- Assisting staff with administrative tasks
- Entering data into community tracking documents (district office)
- Conducting constituent tours of the U.S. Capitol (Capitol Hill office)
You are an excellent candidate for an internship if you possess these qualities:
- Professional phone manner
- Interest in national and/or local issues
- Able to work well with others
- Excellent communication skills
- Understanding of basic computer programs
- Strong writing skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to complete tasks under tight deadlines