WASHINGTON, DC – Today, the Democratic Women's Caucus (DWC) released their policy priorities for the 116th Congress, which lays out a diverse and progressive legislative agenda that will benefit the lives of women and their families across the country. Included in these priorities are several bills that already have been passed by the Democratic majority in the House of Representatives and await action in the Senate.
“For too long, women and their families have been held back from reaching their full potential because of longstanding injustices like the gender wage gap; lack of access to health care and reproductive freedom; threats of violence in our schools, workplaces, and homes; and attacks against people simply because of who they are and who they love. We in the Democratic Women's Caucus recognize that when women and girls have equal access to the tools needed to succeed, our communities, country, and the world are more peaceful and more prosperous. We are fighting for not just women and girls, but for the people. Because the issues that impact women and their families are interconnected, and true equality cannot exist until everyone is able to live freely with dignity, autonomy, and economic security. This policy agenda is a bold affirmation that women demand and deserve the same opportunities for economic success, access to quality health care, and to work, live, and thrive without fear of violence, discrimination, or harassment.” – DWC Co-Chairs Lois Frankel (FL-21), Brenda Lawrence (MI-14), Jackie Speier (CA-14), and Vice Chairs Veronica Escobar (TX-16) and Deb Haaland (NM-01).
Key Pillars of the DWC Policy Agenda include:
- Economic Opportunity – Women deserve economic opportunity, security, and policies that recognize the demands of work and family.
- Safety and Freedom from Violence – Women deserve to feel safe and secure in all aspects of life.
- Equality – Women and LGBTQI+ individuals deserve dignity and equality under the law.
- Access to Health Care and Reproductive Freedom – Women deserve quality, affordable health care, and to have control over their own bodies.
- Supporting Women Servicemembers & Veterans - Women servicemembers and veterans deserve our recognition, support, and respect.
- Empowering Women Globally – Women and girls around the world deserve education, economic opportunity, safety, and health care, including reproductive freedom.
To view the complete policy agenda, including the bills the DWC will advocate for in the 116th Congress, click here. In addition to these top tier priorities, DWC members have compiled a comprehensive agenda of the bills that would benefit women and families. To see that full list, click here. To watch a video recording of the unveiling, click here.
The Democratic Women's Caucus is comprised of all 91 Democratic women in the U.S. House of Representatives.