Washington, DC – Today, 60 Members of the Democratic Women’s Caucus (DWC), led by Co-Chairs Congresswomen Jackie Speier (CA-14), Lois Frankel (FL-21), and Brenda Lawrence (MI-14), and Vice Chairs Congresswomen Veronica Escobar (TX-16) and Deb Haaland (NM-01) sent a letter to President-elect Joe Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris encouraging them to use executive power to advance gender equity and racial justice.
“We are enthusiastic about your transformative agenda for women and families and have appreciated our discussions with you about the importance of your policy proposals,” the Members wrote. “Because of the substantial damage done by Donald Trump to the women of our country, we encourage you to use executive power to immediately begin reversing the harm wrought by the outgoing administration and chart the new course articulated by your platform that affirms gender equity and allows all women and girls to reach their full potential.”
DWC Members outlined numerous areas in which President-elect Biden and Vice President-elect Harris have the authority to pursue executive action. Those recommendations include but are not limited to actions on the following:
- Establishing a White House Council on Gender Equity, appointing a Special Assistant to the President on Gender Equity.
- Protecting and expanding access to reproductive health care by rescinding harmful Trump-era restrictions, addressing urgent maternal health needs;
- Taking a critical look at child care and care-giving needs;
- Improving pay equity for women;
- Protecting victims of sexual assault on college campuses by rescinding harmful Trump administration changes to Title IX;
- Reunifying families separated at the border; and
- Supporting women globally by appointing a highly visible Ambassador-at-large for Global Women’s Issues, fully reinstating global women’s health funding, and rescinding the Global Gag Rule.
A copy of the letter with the complete list of recommendations can be found here.