The American Rescue Plan’s expanded and improved Child Tax Credit is an historic change that is a lifeline to families and will lift 6,200 children in our congressional district out of poverty. Starting July 15, families that have filed taxes in the last two years will automatically receive monthly payments by direct deposit or check if they qualify.
The Child Tax Credit provides children and their families with additional payments throughout the year that helps them with the costs of food, child care, diapers, health care, clothing, and more. Poor, working, and middle class families are receiving the same monthly payments, $250 per month per child ages 6 to 17, and $300 per month for every child under age 6. Families will get the full credit if they make up to $150,000 for a couple or $112,500 for a family with a single parent. This year, the credit is also fully refundable, so if you made too little in previous years to file taxes, you could still get the full amount of the credit. Families in California’s 14th Congressional District will feel more secure and better able to deal with the burdensome expenses that face them weekly and monthly.
Here are the Child Tax Credit benefits by the numbers:
- 56.4% of children in the CA-14 congressional district will benefit from the expanded and improved Child Tax Credit — that’s 88,200 children.
- The average benefit for 28,100 households is $2,400.
- Families with children living in poverty will receive $3,600 on average.
- The expanded and improved Child Tax Credit lifts 6,200 children in California’s 14th congressional district out of poverty.
- It will lift 1,500 children in California’s congressional district out of deep poverty.
- Because of the larger benefit for the youngest, 1,900 kids under the age of six are raised out of poverty.
If you haven’t filed taxes in the last 2 years, there’s one easy step to start getting your payments. Just fill out a short form at childtaxcredit.gov. If you have questions about the Child Tax Credit and need assistance, the nonprofit Life Moves has offered to respond to emails. You may reach Life Moves at email@example.com.
For more information and to check your eligibility and sign up, see the attached flyers below in English and Spanish.
- (228.2 KBs)
- (52.9 KBs)